Image Map

Monday, November 3, 2014

30 Days of Thankfulness - Finding My Joy Before & During This Thanksgiving Holiday

Final Thoughts
This was an awesome thing for me to do and I am so very glad that I did it! Every day wasn't great. I struggled through a few, but, maintained my joy. This truly was a great way for me to realize just how important it was to be in the moment. I am even more aware of just how many things that I should be grateful for each day and how much joy can be found in silly conversations while doing very ordinary things.

November 29 - 30, 2014 ~ Last days in Review
I am thankful for the knowledge that it is okay to just take some time off once in a while when you can, not only when you have to. I decided to take a break from my Facebook Page to refuel and refresh. I decided to enjoy being fully present in the moment of being thankful. My weekend was full of more moments of my family offering me more help and finding more ways to interact together. We had a special event on Sunday that allowed us to spend quality time with friends we haven't seen in long time and catch up. The weekend ended with a mini pedi/facial, brownies, and the mid-season finale of my family's favorite show, The Walking Dead. This was one of the best Thanksgiving holidays that I can remember. I thoroughly enjoyed myself!

November 28, 2014 ~  Day 28
I am thankful that the kitchen was completely cleaned for the first time EVER right after the meal! It was awesome to wake up early and come out for coffee and not have to fight with dishes or stuff on the counter. My oldest and I ventured out for her first day of Black Friday shopping ever. We got a few awesome deals and really enjoyed spending time together. We got to see a longtime family friend that has been away with the military. I am also so thankful for leftovers, relaxing at home, and that my little family has been enjoying so much time together over this past week.

November 27, 2014 ~ Day 27 
Thanksgiving dinner was amazing and delicious! We did not eat precisely at the time I had hoped, but not too far off. Having our friends to share the meal was so nice. Our day was filled with tons of yummy food, fun, football, and a lot of laughs. My kids even helped clean up. I am so thankful that I had the energy and ability to put into all of the details. It was so much fun and the memories are worth all of the work and effort ~ especially, since I had as much help as I did!

November 26, 2014 ~ Day 26
Wow, the snow is really coming down! I am thankful that I have the items I need to finish cooking. The girls and I have haircut appointments later this afternoon. Nothing like waiting until the last minute! I had completely forgotten to schedule them so I was lucky to get this appointment. Yeah, with bangs in my eyes and the long straggly strands, I really wanted to keep this appointment. Hubby was a prince and drove us after we were able to get in a smidgen earlier. I had a wonderful time with my girls (all of us gorgeous now!) cooking and preparing food while they traded back and forth playing video games with Dad. It was fun to hear all of their commotion coming from downstairs and music and laughter in the kitchen. It was a great day and I even got to bed earlier than I expected with all the help from busy hands. 

November 25, 2014 ~ Day 25
Today, I am thankful for a light day and the energy to do many things. After coming home and jumping into some prep work and cooking, I realized I was almost out of flour..? HUH? How am I almost out of flour?! I always have flour. Oh yeah, I have been making strombolis and pizzas! So, I went through my recipes and ingredient lists to see there were a few other items I needed but brain fog helped me forget. Then, back out to store I went blehhh! Thankfully, my hubby came with me and we were home in no time. This time, I have everything I need before the snow tomorrow. Yay!

November 24, 2014 ~ Day 24
Today, I am thankful for the Thanksgiving school break so I did not have to wake up at 5:00 am! It was nice to have my youngest home. She makes me laugh so much. I really enjoyed having a late lunch with her and my hubby and also not having to cook!

November 23, 2014 ~ Day 23
Today, I am thankful for a renewed energy that I haven't had in a while. I am so happy to have friends that feel like family over for our Sunday Fun-day. I am so grateful that I feel comfortable enough with them that it isn't stressful if everything isn't put away or we have a low key meal like beef BBQ sandwiches and quick salads. The treasure is in the time together.

November 22, 2014 ~ Day 22
Today, I am thankful for a new day. Showered, dressed, and out the door to meet my mother and sisters for a new Thanksgiving tradition of breakfast before the holiday. With our growing families, different schedules, and general holiday chaos, we haven't spent the holidays all together in quite a while. Understanding and letting go of the idea that we had to get together ON the holiday or not at all, gave us the opportunity to reconnect and enjoy lots of time to catch up together without the hustle and bustle. After a lovely morning/afternoon, I enjoyed a nap, and then a lovely meal with the hubby and youngest. I do treasure moments with family! Lots to be thankful for, especially as I am starting to feeling better.


November 21, 2014 ~ Day 21
Today, I am thankful for a low key day to get some extra rest and do a few things around the house. That is the start to feeling better. 

November 20, 2014 ~ Day 20
Today, I barely have the strength to get out of bed. After a busy week, not sleeping well at night, and no time for naps in the afternoon, I am completely exhausted. That might sound relate-able to someone who doesn't have chronic pain and the complete fatigue that comes from it. But, those who do, know exactly what I am talking about. It isn't just being tired, it is incapacitating. Thursdays have become my busiest day since my oldest and I switched the cleaning day of our church from Saturday. I am SO thankful today for the strength that God provided to get through this day. There was absolutely no way that I could have done it on my own. 

November 19, 2014 ~ Day 19
Today, where to start? Ugh ~ what a day! This was a repeat of yesterday where I wish I could have had a do-over on most of it. It was cold, I was hurting so badly, I had a lot of work to do, I lost my temper, and I could not sleep. There were other things that were disappointing and discouraging; but, that is not what this post is about. There were still bright spots to be thankful for: My oldest, offered to change her plans and help me tremendously, I was able to make a delicious meal that did not come from a box or take out, and successfully helped my youngest with her homework. These days, most of it is so confusing to me since expectations, punctuation, grammar, and math has changed so drastically ~ but that is a whole separate post! The homework is finished and I am SO thankful!

November 18, 2014 ~ Day 18
Today, I start with being thankful that this is a blog post about being thankful and finding the joyful moments in every day and not a "what I wish happened differently today" journal. I am thankful for more energy today to do many things that needed to be done. On the whole, I accomplished quite a bit, but rarely as much as I would like. As I lay in my bed reviewing the day, the first thoughts are usually of those things that I didn't finish and now have to be added to tomorrow's list. But, then the lovely things that I have started to be sure to notice throughout the day begin to pop into my head: my husband still opening my car door after 23+ years of being together, my youngest successfully being in charge of putting dinner in the oven for the first time, the whole family being together at the table, another successful adventure in hair color for my oldest, a mostly empty sink before bed, a warm home, a full belly, a soft pillow, a comfy bed and any negative thoughts give way to a grateful heart and a pretty good night's sleep! There are so many things to be thankful for each day.

November 17, 2014 ~ Day 17
Today, I am thankful that my hubby tries to take good care of me. I thought that I was going to escape going out in the rain today but
my brain fog won again and I forgot that I needed something for work. So, I had to go out ~ blah. He drove in his toasty warm car with heated seats and I was home soon enough. I am also grateful for my future sister-in-law (who created this beautiful blog) and the wonderful communities of Bloggers and Facebook for their support. Once upon a time, I had been creative and had fun, but, then there was pain. Pain takes up so much of my life. It tells me what I can do, what I should do, and then of course ~ what I can't do. But, as I continue to blog, host my Facebook Page, and have the opportunity to talk with other people who share my dark gift of chronic illness and medications, I have started to feel those sparks of creativity again. While I would never want others to go through what I have been through and what I continue to go through, it is a gift and a blessing to me to be able to relate, laugh, cry, and be encouraged by others who truly know my daily quest to find joy and live each day the best way I can.

November 16, 2014 ~ Day 16
Today, I am thankful for giggles, belly laughs, hugs, smiles, deep and silly conversations, and all of the other little things that my little family shares. I love our Family Sunday Fun Days.

November 15, 2014 ~ Day 15
Today, I am thankful for a few things. I am so happy for another quiet weekend (rare, but so needed!) I spent the day in comfy clothes, looking over my recipes for Thanksgiving again, surfing Pinterest, and watching Hallmark Christmas movies. I was able to roast the turkey wings and veggies to make the broth that will be the gravy for the big day. I combined recipes from an old Woman's Day magazine and a similar one I found on The Yummy Life. Oh my yum! After it chills overnight, I will thicken it and freeze it. Score! Cross that off my list, WOOT! Apparently, my brain fog has been less because when I was going over my recipes, I have almost everything I need except for the turkey and a few odds and ends. How refreshing, since I have had to run out to the store at the last minute hoping to find things that have been gone for days.

November 14, 2014 ~ Day 14
Today, I am thankful that I am moving a little easier, with the warmth of the fire. My youngest and I had a fun dinner, laughing and giggling the whole time. I enjoy those special one on one times. Raising teens is hard enough, but needing to rest so much and taking medication that makes me loopy tends to make me feel disconnected from those I love. I treasure these moments with my girls.

November 13, 2014 ~ Day 13
Today, I am so thankful for safe driving in the snow/sleet. It was our daughter's first adventure driving in winter weather. I was driving behind her trying to make sure that nobody got too close. I was white-knuckled the whole way home! But, she is a wonderful driver and has my hubby's instincts. I am also SO grateful for our first fire in the wood stove. Oh my word, what a difference that makes for my sore and achy muscles! It is a blessing that is beyond belief! 


November 12, 2014 ~ Day 12
Today, I am so thankful that I could go back to sleep after our girls went to school. I was shocked when my hubby woke me up and I realized that I slept for 3 hours. I am so thankful that I was able to get some sleep that I really needed. Because of that extra rest, I was able to be able to get up, stretch, and make the most of my day. With the last of the warm days before the impending cold snap, I strapped on my big girl boots and chose to push a little harder to complete the outside jobs that needed to be done. Ever since I began trying to find ways to thrive with my Fibromyalgia and chronic migraines, I try to plan everything for the week based on the weather, especially in the fall/winter. As a "trade off" for doing those kinds of physical activities, I have to take muscle relaxers and/or pain meds and need to sleep more. 

November 11, 2014 ~ Day 11
Today, I am thankful for free wood for our wood stove that will keep us toasty warm in the cold days coming very soon. I am also so thankful that our daughters are very responsible and that I am able to rely on them to grocery shop for me. I even came home to find that all of the groceries were put away. What a treat! <3

November 10, 2014 ~ Day 10
Today, I am grateful for being out of bed and being able to move around and stretch. One of the hardest things about my flares is that I hurt too much to move, but the longer I lie there, my muscles just get tighter. I am grateful for the muscle relaxers that help a little by keeping my muscles from seizing up. Even though it hurts like the dickens, I am able to begin to work through it.


November 9, 2014 ~ Day 9
Today, I am overwhelmingly grateful for the knowledge that just because I may think or feel something about myself, it does not make it true. What God thinks about me is way more important to me than what I think about myself. I started beating myself up today for running too many errands in the rain the other day, which I KNOW are both triggers for a flare. I started with horrendous cramps and nausea 3 days ago (I think it may have started with something that I ate). Then, I woke up yesterday with debilitating muscle pain and weakness that is still here today. Ugh! So, for the last few days, I have been gentle with myself. I listened to my hubby and rested. But, here we are 3 days later and I still hurt so badly and I just want to sleep. We are going to church today and I am running late. The laundry has piled up, dishes are in the sink, blah blah blah... Here comes the condemnation. Here come the voices that remind me that I do this all the time. BUT, then a clear voice breaks through. No, you don't do this all the time. You are learning, but you stumbled. That voice is the Voice of Truth. That voice is the voice I will choose to believe.

November 8, 2014 ~ Day 8
Today, I am thankful for a quiet weekend, warm and cozy jammies, and the ability to stay in bed all day. I am relieved that I keep quick foods in the freezer to pull out in a pinch so I don't have to worry about what's for dinner or having to go out to eat. Because I have been having more good days than bad, it still surprises and frustrates me when I feel this low on energy even while I am resting. I am looking forward to the end of this flare and warmer temperatures in the next couple of days.

November 7, 2014 ~ Day 7
Today was one of those days that I had to be gentle with myself. One of those days that all I wanted to do was sleep. I am thankful again for an understanding hubby who insisted that I go lie down even though I didn't want to!

November 6, 2014 ~ Day 6
Today, I am extremely thankful for modern technology. It is chilly and rainy here and I ran too many errands today. While walking through the last store, I started slowing down and nearly stopped as my energy completely left me. We hadn't even eaten dinner yet. I was so happy to walk into a warm home, reheat leftovers, rinse the dishes in hot water, and then load them into the dishwasher. I crawled into a very cozy bed, (still dressed!), pulled the warm covers up, rested my head on a fluffy pillow, and called it a day. I am grateful for medicine that keeps the pain less than unbearable.

November 5, 2014 ~ Day 5
 
Today, I am thankful for my husband’s understanding and caring heart. I was having a rough day and I sincerely appreciated a few small things that he did that added up to turning my day around. It makes me feel loved and cared for to have him anticipate things that might make me feel better; especially, a soft hug and an encouraging word. After nearly 23 years together, we are becoming closer than we have been in years and I am very thankful for that!

November 4, 2014 ~ Day 4
 
I am so thankful that I am able to mostly work from home for my husband. I am happy to try to take some weight off of his plate, since he is our sole provider. I try to be a blessing to him, since he is such a blessing to us. Although, I am sure I probably get on his nerves sometimes, we seem to make it work. Having to be somewhere outside of the home every day for many hours was very difficult for me, especially in the winter.

November 3, 2014 ~ Day 3 
I am so thankful that my husband and I parent as a team. We both want to provide tools for our kids while still teaching them that it is up to them to use them properly. We don’t always get it right. But, we know that our time with them is brief and our goal is to raise girls that can think and provide for themselves as adults. Each day I am thankful for my girls and that I am able to be a part of their lives. That has been an amazing gift every day of their lives.

November 2, 2014 ~ Day 2
I am thankful to be able to relax at home all day. As soon as I opened my eyes, I declared it my Pajama Day. I could have gotten dressed but I chose not to. I stayed in my jammies and sorted through my Thanksgiving recipes. Seeing my Grandmother’s handwriting brought tears to my eyes because this our first year without her here on earth. I am so thankful for every wonderful memory that I have of her and her delicious recipes to pass down to my children.

November 1, 2014 ~ Day 1
I am relishing in the aftermath of a great Halloween. I am so grateful that my youngest wanted to be with a good friend & trick or treat, my oldest would rather go to a Haunted House with her father than go out with friends, and a husband who wants to take his oldest daughter & her boyfriend to one of those places I don’t want to go!


Today, I am thankful for a restored relationship with my sister-in-law and our families spending time together. It was so nice to see cousins chatting and all of us laughing together enjoying a wonderful breakfast. I am also thankful for spending time with my little family and then watching the girls carve their pumpkins. Time didn’t allow for them to carve them before Halloween. So many times before, I would have just scrapped the whole idea since it was already over. But, it wasn’t too late and I am so glad that they got to enjoy the activity!


2 comments:

  1. Loving all these reasons to be thankful. :) What a great list! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment and thank you for being a big part of my Day 17! <3 I am really enjoying paying close attention during the day to see what stands out as my cherished moments of the day. I may keep doing this every day!

      Delete