Image Map

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Sometimes you forget how far you have actually come

I clean my church each week w/my daughter (usually on Saturdays). We went up last night to get it done early in order to take today off & enjoy the day. It is pretty far from my house (about 35 min one way). We got there & I realized that I had forgotten my key. Not only had we driven all that way for nothing but now we had to come back. Sighhh...

I keep talking about the FLY system & how important routines can be to help us become more organized. Keeping track of my keys has been a huge problem for me. I used to lose them all the time. I started making sure that they were always in the front pocket of my purse. For almost a month, I always had my keys in the pocket. When I came home earlier yesterday, I set them on the table and my purse on the floor. My daughter drove and I didn't "need" my keys to get there so I didn't even think about checking. I was devastated. How could I have forgotten? I instantly thought ughh it's the same old thing & I started to beat myself up.

But, then I realized that was not true. I had gone so many days without forgetting. I had been very careful. YES, it stunk. YES, I messed up. Guess what? I will never be perfect. I will make mistakes. But, now I know that I will have to add another layer to putting them in the pocket. Each time I leave, I will have to check the pocket & make sure that they are in there whether I am driving or not. In 4 weeks, I forgot them once. My husband pointed out that one time in four weeks is 75% of the time. A 75% is a passing grade NOT a fail. But, I want to keep working towards that 95-100%. I can't do that if I just keep thinking about how "I did it again!" Instead, I need to choose to treat myself the same way I would treat anyone else. "It's okay" and let it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment